On 24 February, the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways (GDDKiA) sent for publication in the Official Journal of the EU a tender notice for the design and construction of a section of the S19 expressway from Dobrzyniewo to the Białystok Zachód junction together with the junction. This is the first of the tenders for the Podlasie part of the S19, which is part of the Via Carpatia route in Poland.
S19 a Via Carpatia
The Via Carpatia will connect the Baltic States to the south of Europe along our eastern border, creating a new transport corridor. The S19 expressway is planned from the border crossing with Belarus in Kuźnica Białostocka, through the close vicinity of Białystok and further south through Lublin to the border with Slovakia in Barwinek.
Via Carpatia is a communication route that will connect the Baltic Sea with the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. It is also a way of life for Eastern Poland. Our government is determined to implement this investment in full. Successive inaugurations of the construction works, successive contracts signed and subsequent tenders announced prove that we have moved from words to actions – said the Minister of Infrastructure Andrzej Adamczyk.
Bialystok West – key intersection
Although the currently announced tender concerns a small section of the S19, the Białystok Zachód junction will be built as part of this task. This is where the existing S8 will cross in the future with the emerging S19 expressway. Thus, the constructed junction will ensure future relations between Warsaw – Bialystok – Elk and Elk – Bialystok – Lublin.
The subject of the order is the design and construction of the S19 expressway on the section of about 5.38 km and the S8 expressway on the section of about 2.1 km together with the Białystok Zachód junction. Two roadways with two lanes each are planned, and the whole is to be adapted to the heaviest traffic.
The S8 expressway will cross the S19 expressway and run under it. The construction of the surface at the junction will be chosen by the contractor. As part of the task, ten engineering structures will be built, including two passages over the Supraśl and Biała rivers and one railway viaduct.
Work schedule for the Dobrzyniewo – Białystok West section
- 24 February 2020 – transmission of the contract notice for publication
- 28 February 2020 – initiation of proceedings
- 14 April 2020 – deadline for submission of tenders
- Second half of 2020 – planned conclusion of the agreement
- Second half of 2021 – planned submission of an application for issuance of a decision on permitting execution of a road investment to the Podlaskie Province Governor
- 2022-2024 – implementation
2020 of tenders for the Podlasie S19
In the first half of 2020, GDDKiA plans to announce further tender procedures in the “Design and build” system for almost 50 kilometres of the S19 expressway near Białystok:
- Krynice – Dobrzyniewo
- Bialystok West – Księżyno
- Księżyno – Białystok Południe (with over 13 km DK65 Kudrycze – Kuriany – Grabówka)
- Białystok Południe – Ploski
In the second half of 2020 it plans to announce proceedings for the southern sections of the S19 with a total length of 68 km:
- Ploski – Haćki
- Haćki – Bielsk Podlaski West (additionally with 6 km DK66 in Bielsk Podlaski)
- Bielsk Podlaski West – Boćki
- Boćki – Osmola
- Osmola – Leszczka
- Leszczka – Chlebczyn (in Mazowieckie Province)
By the end of the year a tender should also be announced for the 17-kilometre-long Kuźnica – Sokółka Północ section (north-east of Białystok).
Currently, four sections of the S19 expressway in Podlasie have environmental decisions:
- Dobrzyniewo – Białystok West (d. Choroszcz)
- Krynice – Dobrzyniewo
- Białystok West – Ploski (on the Narew River) – issued on 14 August 2019. (appeals against the decision were received by the General Director of Environmental Protection)
- Ploski – Bread (River Bug)
For the section Kuźnica – Sokółka an application for an environmental decision was submitted on 7 June 2019 and is currently under consideration.
For the next section of the S19 – from Sokółka through Czarna Białostocka – Wasilków – Sochonie to Dobrzyniewo – an application for issuing an environmental decision is being prepared for a variant running approximately along the existing national road no. 19.